Are you confident, over confident or just lying to yourself?New research suggests that over-confident people are viewed by others as more able and talented (even if they aren’t).1. Students were asked to predict grades for themselves AND other students. The results?…
- Students that predicted higher grades for themselves were also expected to have higher grades by the other students, even if they really did terribly, and
- Those that were under confident were under rated.
2. The study’s author put it best, “…people don’t always reward the most accomplished individual but rather the most self-deceived.”3. Other notable outcomes…the overconfident among us are also:
- More likely to take risks, and
- Tend to PROMOTE other over-confident people (there’s a recipe for organizational success)!
I guess “fake it till you make it” may actually have a scientific basis…-JeffSource: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-08/uoe-sid082614.php