A key tenet of our approach is that business relationships and personal relationships are in essence the same (BR = PR). The book Disarming Cupid by the editors of Scientific American discusses several scientifically proven ways to enhance romantic relationships. What is interesting about it is that most of the techniques can be used in a non-romantic and even professional context. Some of my favorite findings:
- Excitement. Researchers such as Arthur Aron of Stony Brook show that people bond emotionally through exercise, adventure or exposure to dangerous situations
- Proximity. Researchers like Leon Festinger show that just being around someone tends to create positive feelings towards that person
- Similarity. Researchers like Dan Ariely of Duke University show that people tend to pair off with those similar in attractiveness, intelligence and background
- Humor. Researchers like Jeanette and Robert Lauer have showed that in long term, happy relationships, partners make each other laugh a lot
- Self-disclosure. Researchers such as Arthur Aron show that people tend to become closer when they share secrets with each other
Check out the book Disarming Cupid for more great insights!