Assuming you are putting your commitments to physical fitness, that new diet and shedding a bad habit of yours at the top of your 2015 resolutions list, I’m offering a challenge for the #4 spot –REIGNITING ONCE SOLID RELATIONSHIPS.
While Capital One credit card wants you to feel the joy this holiday season and spend freely by asking, “What’s in your wallet?”
I’m asking you a different question, “What’s IN your wallet of personal and professional opportunity for 2015?”
After you’ve spent some hard won capital on a few priceless gifts for your loved ones, why not invest a little of your downtime building up your social capital?
And you’ll see the returns right away!
- We never know who, when, where or what will be the source of your next big break. More often than not, big opportunities come from people and places you hadn’t anticipated. For example:
- The BIG BREAK in my career came from a friend halfway across the country (thank you Melanie, you changed my life),
- I’m currently working on a significant business venture brought to my attention by someone that once attended one of my talks (thank you Melissa, looking forward to an amazing ride),
- None of this opportunity would have been possible without one man taking the chance on an upstart like me (thank you Rick, your example and your trust have made all the difference).
- Each of us has great relationships we’ve taken for granted. Right now, I’m sure you can think of a few people with whom you were once close but, for whatever reason, you’ve stopped engaging,
- The more people that know who you are, what you want, what you are capable of and care about you – the more opportunity will present itself. MAKE SENSE?
- Make a short list of 10 or so people with whom you once had a solid relationship but haven’t connected with in a while (THINK: old friends, long-lost family members, co-workers, clients, etc.)
- Write up a short message (3 or 4 sentences) to send to each of them (i.e. “…I was thinking about you and realized it’s been a while since we’ve connected. Don’t want to make that mistake in 2015!…)
- Send the messages as TEXTS on New Year’s Day… (Still the holiday but people will be thinking about the future and getting ready to return to the grind – a perfect day for reconnecting)
Wishing you and yours health, happiness and lots of laughter!Stay connected.